La Leche League in Nevada is a collection of Groups, Meetings, and Leaders in Nevada, and is designed to help you find local breastfeeding information and support.
What is La Leche League?
La Leche League is an international, non-profit, non-sectarian organization dedicated to providing education, information, support, and encouragement to women who want to breastfeed. All breastfeeding mothers & babies and pregnant women interested in breastfeeding are welcome to come to our meetings or call our Leaders for breastfeeding help. You do not need to become a member to attend our meetings or to call a La Leche League Leader for phone helping.
Our mission is to help mothers worldwide to breastfeed through mother-to-mother support, encouragement, information, and education, and to promote a better understanding of breastfeeding as an important element in the healthy development of the baby and mother.
The core philosophy of La Leche League is summarized in the following statements:
- Mothering through breastfeeding is the most natural and effective way of understanding and satisfying the needs of the baby.
- Mother and baby need to be together early and often to establish a satisfying relationship and an adequate milk supply.
- In the early years the baby has an intense need to be with his mother which is as basic as his need for food.
- Breast milk is the superior infant food.
- For the healthy, full-term baby, breast milk is the only food necessary until the baby shows signs of needing solids, about the middle of the first year after birth.
- Ideally the breastfeeding relationship will continue until the baby outgrows the need.
- Alert and active participation by the mother in childbirth is a help in getting breastfeeding off to a good start.
- Breastfeeding is enhanced and the nursing couple sustained by the loving support, help, and companionship of the baby’s father. A father’s unique relationship with his baby is an important element in the child’s development from early infancy.
- Good nutrition means eating a well-balanced and varied diet of foods in as close to their natural state as possible.
- From infancy on, children need loving guidance which reflects acceptance of their capabilities and sensitivity to their feelings.
For more information about La Leche League, please visit La Leche League International.